Friday, August 29, 2014

Cinnamon

Did you know that cinnamon is pretty much awesome? I really didn't. I ignored all of the advice to use more cinnamon until four days ago. Changed. My. Life.


So, you may or may not know... but I am a type 2 diabetic. Or I was. We can debate that later. I consider myself a reversed diabetic. That doesn't mean life is the same way as it was before I was diagnosed but it does mean that I'm not worried about checking my sugars as often or feeling the dread of being on the verge of insulin dependency. My a1c is a 5.7 which is barely in the pre-diabetic range and that is down from 6.6 the test three months before. 

My secret is simple. I eat an average (notice I said average) of 60g of carbs per meal and 30g of carbs per snack. I also eat around eight times a day. If I'm hungry. I eat. I'm breastfeeding so I eat more calories than I would otherwise but I stick within these guidelines. Doing all that dropped me from 6.6 to 5.7 but my fasting number in the morning is still out of control at an average of 130. 

That's when my midwife suggested cinnamon. How come the endocrinologist didn't suggest this while I was pregnant, I will never know. I struggled a little to find the best way to ingest the 2 tsp daily at bedtime. Coffee had been suggested but just before bed sounds like a terrible idea. In a glass of milk, I couldn't get it to mix right and it clumped to the top. Toast. Tried that. Did you know 1 tsp of cinnamon on a piece of buttered whole wheat toast STILL burns? Nope. Me either. I tried baking some apples with the cinnamon and some butter. I am not sure if my apples were bad or if I did it wrong. I probably did it wrong but that was a big fat nope. Finally I tried a smoothie. 


  • Just 2 tsp of cinnamon
  • your favorite vanilla flavored protein powder (I like   Creamy Vanilla Profit
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • a handful of ice cubes
  • couple drops of liquid sweetener. 
Blend and enjoy. 


So a couple things this picture doesn't mention? It helps with inflammation also. Or so my midwife said. I'm not in flames so I'm not sure ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment